Saturday, October 31, 2009
Friday, October 30, 2009
Interesting genre, click to view the HORROR
Thursday, October 29, 2009
"..has reduced the number from 12 to four over the years but says card companies should share the blame for borrowers' difficulties.'I could lose my house. It's that serious' - Guardian
"Sure, there was much over-borrowing but there was over-lending too. Why should the borrowers be penalised?" she says. "Government should protect us from this, not aid the lenders while casting borrowers to the wind. After all, it was the government that presided over and encouraged easy credit. Now it proposes penalising those who took advantage.""
She had 12 credit cards, 12. But it isn't her fault. Not her responsibility. She just took advantage. This is the reason my prudent savings account earns nothing at the moment. Thanks love.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
'In a study published in New Scientist, they calculated a medium dog eats 164 kilograms of meat and 95kg of cereals every year. It takes 43.3 square metres of land to produce 1kg of chicken a year. This means it takes 0.84 hectares to feed Fido.
They compared this with the footprint of a Toyota Land Cruiser, driven 10,000km a year, which uses 55.1 gigajoules (the energy used to build and fuel it). One hectare of land can produce 135 gigajoules a year, which means the vehicle's eco-footprint is 0.41ha – less than half of the dog's.
They found cats have an eco-footprint of 0.15ha – slightly less than a Volkswagen Golf. Hamsters have a footprint of 0.014ha – keeping two of them is equivalent to owning a plasma TV.'
Save the planet: time to eat the dog? - Stuff.co.nz via Dominic via Conway
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
"StockTickr: What single lesson did you learn along the way that has helped you the most in your trading?
Denise: Learn how to process your emotions in real time. so that the emotion is not “acted out” in trade entries or exits.
StockTickr: What 3 books do you recommend traders read?
- Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
- When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
- Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in the Global Markets
StockTickr: What is the most common but easily correctable mistake you see traders make?
Denise: Ignoring how they feel in an effort to “control their emotions.”"
Interview with Denise K. Shull, a trading coach and mentor.
This round of monetary growth has mainly fed speculation, not credit demand for consumption or investment. Speculation has reached a dangerous point with the oil price threatening to reach triple digits again. Its implications for inflation may spook the central banks to raise interest rates quickly and trigger another crash.The excess money supply has created a new liquidity bubble.
The case for a double dip in 2010 is already strong. Inventory restocking and fiscal stimulus are behind the current economic recovery. The odds are quite low that western consumption will pick up when the recovery runs out of steam next year. High unemployment will keep incomes too weak to support spending."
Andy Xie - The Big Burnout
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Mr Einhorn talked about his reasoning for buying gold as a hedge against future inflation, and went into the reasons to be wary not only of the dollar but of currencies including the yen and sterling. Making a choice among them was like choosing between different forms of dental treatment, he said."Via DH again
Sir, Imagine a publicly held company with revenues of �500m and costs of �700m leaving it posting a current year loss of �200m. Imagine, too, that this company already has �700m of debt and that it is forecasting that debt to increase beyond �1,000m over the next three years. Would any sane investor consider lending to or investing in such a company?
This is exactly the state of the UK's current finances, except to say that the numbers are actually billions rather than millions. The UK is in a mess and it is extremely difficult to see how it is going to trade its way out of it. Quite simply, we are living way beyond our means and drastic action is required.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
"I watched carefully the reporting of the Dow breaking 10,000 the other day and not anywhere did I see a major news organization include a paragraph of the “On the other hand, so fucking what?” sort."Good News on Wall Street Means… What Exactly? - Matt Taibbi
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
"I knew a long while ago that I will never be 'good', on a very good day I am average and things like the Etape just make you realise, as a coach said to me recently, you have to work bloody hard just to be average. I'd go further. The fact is, I know you have to work really hard just to be crap."
Tourmalet Torment - Guy Andrews - Rouleur
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Giving politicians a Twitter-ready version of the U.S. Constitution to send to voters in place of the politicians' own thoughts will raise the tone of America's political discourse while sparing us the pain and humiliation of learning anything more about our dreadful elected representatives, their idiot ideas, or their unwelcome whereabouts.
Without further ado:
- Pre-A: We the people R the man. Here's how it rolls. Art1: Congress do law. Got Senate/House-o-Reps.
- HR 2yr deal. Reps mst b 25, homie citz 7yrs. 1R per 30k pop/min 1R per St. St pop #s @10yrs. Guv pix subs. HR pix own bigs. HR impeaches Clinton.
- Sen 6yr deal. 1/3 go @2yrs. 2Ss/St Mst b 30, homie citz 9yrs. VP tiebreaks. S gives Clinton a bye.
- $ Bills fr H & pass S w/amends. Prez mst X or nix. 2/3H&S 2 nix nix
- Cong power = Tax Mooch Tariff Green crd Chapt 11 Print $ Bust cons Pat pend Law up War on Hang pirates.
- Cong power not = No habeas corp No x post facto law Free trade 4 Sts. Kings dukes for. poofters R bogus.
- Sts pow not = For. treats Cust. duties @ other Sts. Go 2 war w/o say please
- Art2: Prez 4yrs per Elec Col SAT score VP ditto VP subs. mst b nat born homie 35. Defnds Const & CnC Army Navy Air Force Marines
- Prez pow = For. treats w 2/3S yes Appts Cabnt offs Ambs Sup Ct Js DoD brass w S yes Hi Cong Bye Cong St-o-Un add. No smoking.
- Art3: Sup Ct rox Treason sux. Art4: Sts R cool Newbie Sts per Cong. Art5: Amend Con=2/3H&S+3/4Sts. Art6: US IOUs cool Const rox No God Squad
- Art7: G2G TTFN. 9/17/1787. Bill-o-Rites TK :)
- Flame on -church+guns. No GIs n cribz. No frisk w/o ProbCawz Due Pross rox Plea5th Get off my lawn SpeedTrialz w/jur­str. Pwr 2 D Peeps.
Twelve little tweets--all that's needed to run the richest, most powerful and most important nation in the world for more than 220 years. There's a message in that, and not just a text message. But we can text it. And let's do so."
All the Founding Fathers go tweet, tweet, tweet. by P.J. O'Rourke
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Friday, October 09, 2009
“No! No different! Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned.”
“Alright, I’ll give it a try.”
“No. Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.”
Thursday, October 08, 2009
Royal Mail loses Amazon contract as postal strikes loom - Guardian
Wednesday, October 07, 2009
Now that stuff is cynical and monstrous. It is my sincere hope that the people who are producing these programs will someday be tried and executed by war crimes tribunals at the Hague.""We’re not thinking about how to fix our lives, in other words, but how to fix the movie about our lives."
Michael Moore’s Problems Are Our Fault - Matt Taibbi
Ridiculous Hype Over Secret Oil Meetings - Mish
Why Would Anyone Want To Hold Dollars? - Mish
"Dollar Armageddon is not coming over a pricing unit, nor did the US invade Iraq for that reason. The story is nothing but meaningless hype."
The world and the dollar react to Robert Fisk - FT Alphaville
"..the ‘Independent’ article as offering little substance. Nonetheless, the article will add to USD weakness, which is already under pressure due to other reasons."
"..he has not often written on economic issues in the past."
Oil Traders to Ditch the Dollar… - Oil Change
"Some analysts believe that the dollar’s long-term future as the currency for oil trading is in serious trouble and will be replaced over the next few years."
Tuesday, October 06, 2009
"The massive exceptional monetary stimulus of central banks has lifted up financial markets rather faster than it has buoyed the real economy.
The big unanswered question is whether economic reality will catch up with financial-market hopefulness, which would be the benign outcome, or whether the rising prices of bonds, commodities and shares contain an element of unattainable fantasy."
Microsoft: 'No bounce' - Peston's Picks - BBC News
The key is sustained growth via such things as US productivity, Chinese market growth and the fact that the income-return on equities is so much higher than on deposits. I think this is a bit straw clutchy.
"Which is all fine and dandy unless you think that there simply won't be any sustained economic growth and/or oil prices will rise so much as to persuade central banks that there's a risk of generalised inflation - which would lead to a rise in interest rates."
Raining in Tokyo today, foggy everywhere else.
Monday, October 05, 2009
The camera lens was destroyed, but the camera itself somehow survived as the world's tallest unmanned rocket roared away from its launchpad."Pretty cool.
Friday, October 02, 2009
Welcome to the Ogori cafe!
At this cafe, you get what the person before you ordered. The next person gets what you ordered.
Subject: BGC 4 x 100m Training Update.
I thought you may appreciate an appraisal and findings after our preliminary 'try-out'. Feedback is essential in all walks of commerce, but sport and the 'business' of winning is no different as I am sure you will agree. In anticipation of a successful campaign, to bring the cup back to Toranomon, we have set about a strategy of focus and discipline. Admittedly the resources have been somewhat fudged, but the findings are useful nonetheless.
Having gauged the distance from the Toranomon crossing to the gates of the imperial palace along at probably close to 400 metres we had a full dress-rehearsal for the actual event next month. Starting within the shadow of our own building was, with hindsight a regrettable decision at rush-hour, but inspiring nonetheless. On completion of the inaugural run, I have established not only the probable order of runners, which undoubtedly will help you with the administration, but a wish-list which it is hoped, shall allow for a fluid and professional campaign.
Timings and findings. (B/F/T/C)
1. B: His position as lead-off is under scrutiny. Sluggish, from the clap (we didnt have a gun for obvious reasons), his negotiation of the pavement was awkward and handover to Ferguson was excessively conservative. Running in his work clothes hindered his speed and we fully expect his time to represent this when switching to the new kit. See below. Please be advised he will NOT be wearing his favoured black cape whilst running.
Approximate time : 26.28 sec (he has claimed this to be a PB, which we are investigating)
2. F : From the unfortunate static start he made up good time and initiative taken by running on the actual road despite obvious risks. But for the parked police van along Kasumigaseki, his time would have been outstanding.
Approximate time : 10.08 sec (We have nick-named him “Pringle” after the legendary Jesse Owens, who used to run along the road too and was a good jumper).
3. T : After a bungled baton change which resulted in the cucumber breaking in half (kindly donated by Flutes & Vegtables) after F ran into him, far too fast, he made up for lost time. Terrible luck with the traffic lights cruelly turning red, dented what could have been a spectacular 'bend-leg'.
Approximate time : 3min 42sec
4. C : Excellent changeover and a good start were overshadowed by a premature end. (previous night out with P from SRB who trades the vol and is now not going to HK took its toll, with C feeling 'dizzy and lightheaded'.) Positives taken however and his position in the team is definitely not under close scrutiny at this particular juncture.
Approximate time : DNF
Wish list :
- Whistle (my clapping seemed to startle the pedestrians and the gun idea simply isn't feasible unless we can source one which pops out the word "BANG" on a sort of flag thing.)
- An actual baton. (Many thanks go to Flutes & Vegetables of Toranomon, who kindly stepped in with the cucumber, and have asked me to pass on that the plums are excellent value this time of year. Unfeasible going forward however. Would perhaps settle for baton-sized stick if anyone has one, which may make for cost cutting.
- Trainers. Straw poll came up with consensus for those ones which have lights in the heels and go on and off upon movement. Good counter tactics i know you will agree. Sizes (in current team order; 8/11/8/4.5)
- Team kit. Worthwhile investment I know you will agree. All black (it worked for Mike Tyson) with CGB in gold letters on the back, and 1,2,3,4 on each of the fronts... not all the numbers that is, just 1 on B, 2 on F etc etc etc etc etc etc)
- Matching tracksuits, with optional warm-down sweatshirts. Always a sign of a tough team i know you will agree.
- Isotonic drinks. Obviously !!
- Float for sundry items.. suggested ¥225,000. TBA.
- T-shirts with the squad nick-names on back; in current team order; Bart-man/Jesse-Pringle/ "I am out-rr" here ( a clever anagram of T you will no doubt have picked up on) / Jonny Wizz (this may change so pls refer to me prior to order) Sizes ; L/M/M/S
Please let me know if this is all in accordance with policy and such like. I will keep you posted on further developments.
Best regards, D (team manager and coach)
p.s. Suggested team anthem : to the tune of Queens "We are the Champions"
We are the champions my friend
And we"ll keep on fighting til the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
Of the World.
p.p.s. If there are any details of the timings of other potential rival CGB teams please can you discreetly let me know… I wont tell that you told me.
Thursday, October 01, 2009
Tour de France
Only in Japan
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” .
“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” - Friedrich Hegel quotes (German Philosopher (1770-1831)"
“The Fed has had very few periods of relatively good performance. For most of its history, it’s been a loose cannon on the deck, and not a source of stability.” - Milton Friedman (1999) .
"Everybody knows that if I’m at 100 percent they have to fasten their seatbelts, like on an aeroplane." .
"To race bicycles is to drink greedily from a bottomless chalice of agony." .
Say what you will about Steve Jobs, but, it used to be way, WAY harder to buy a Norwegian Black Metal album with your phone at 9:15 on a Thursday night .
my blog list
The other Colombian riders to watch in 2014 (Part 1) - *Through much of 2013, headlines about Colombian riders, and their seemingly unexpected victories flowed effortlessly in websites, magazines and newspape...2 days ago
My take on the recent ‘high protein diet as bad a smoking’ study - There are reports of a study doing the round in the UK press this week that warn us that eating a protein-rich diet is ‘as bad for us a smoking’. See here ...18 hours ago
You + Me + Beeminder = Weight Loss (With Accountability) Starting Today - The Hammer and I were in Southern Utah last weekend. Hiking. Biking. And in general just having a great time. As we rode and hiked, however, I constantly...2 days ago
David Davies In Live Swinger vs Smooth Smackdown At Sandown Park - *Upcoming Swim Smooth Clinics / Camps:* *Challenge Barcelona Camps April 2014* Full information: here *Lancaster SS Squad* Full information here *Lancast...6 days ago
The ‘Conflict Crunch’ – Carl Icahn Vs. Marc Andreessen - The gloves are really off in the Silicon Valley vs. Wall Street war. As I suspected a few weeks ago this battle will be epic. The social web has guarante...1 day ago
Research: Increased sugar uptake promotes oncogenesis via EPAC/RAP1 and O-GlcNAc pathways - We’ve been providing a fair bit of coverage on cancer recently, and today will be no exception. Unfortunately, right now I can offer little more than a poi...1 week ago
It's So Cold ... Polar Bears Taken Inside; Hundreds of Students Arrested Protesting Keystone Pipeline; Global Warming or Global Cooling? - Seriously misguided students are up in arms over the possible revival of the Keystone Pipeline project from Canada to the US. Their concern is greenhouse g...4 hours ago
Did the State Department Manipulate Facts to Support Keystone XL? - An in-depth analysis released earlier this week by the Carbon Tracker Initiative suggests that the authors of the State Department’s Final Supplementary ...14 hours ago
American Diabetes Association Embraces Low-Carbohydrate Diets. Can You Believe It? - The SBU (Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment) is charged by the Swedish government with assessing health care treatments. Their recent accepta...2 months ago
Is there a way to exploit the metabolic quirk of cancer? - One night, as I alluded to in this post, Tim and I were having dinner and the topic of cancer came up. Personally and professionally I have a great inte...4 weeks ago
The Ketogenic Diet's Effect on Cortisol Metabolism - One of the myths surrounding ketogenic diets comes from misunderstanding the role of *cortisol* — the "stress hormone". In a previous post, we addressed o...3 weeks ago
Insulin, sympathetic nervous system, and nutrient timing. - Insulin secretion is attenuated by sympathetic nervous system activity; eg, via exercise. Theoretically, exercising after a meal should blunt insulin secr...2 days ago
Gallery: Hinault’s punching victim wasn’t cycling’s only protester - The 2014 Paris-Nice marks the 30th anniversary of the punch heard across France and we look back at some of the sport's memorable protests The post Galle...7 hours ago
Hi please put this on my tombstone because nothing sums up my... - Hi please put this on my tombstone because nothing sums up my era, spirit, and sweet sweet style better than this.1 month ago
- ► 2013 (268)
- ► 2012 (521)
- ► 2011 (551)
- ► 2010 (560)
- Mushroom for dinner?
- Bledisloe Cup
- Dog Point & Quartz Reef Dinner
- On a lighter note
- Genre: Documentary, Horror
- Taking Off
- Over-borrowing vs. over-lending
- Save the planet: time to eat the dog?
- The Barbarous Relic
- Emotional trading
- A new bubble
- Rained All Day In Tokyo
- Open Up
- Just a couple
- Race Across the Sky
- On the way to TMC
- Dental Treatment
- Excerpt from letter to FT
- Planet of the Apes
- And first female TdF winner in history
- via EL
- Jobless Recovery
- Latest addition to the stable
- Politics at its most basic
- Where's Sir Paul?
- Pondering the torment of the Tourmalet
- Twittering the Constitution
- Any minute now...
- On the sunny Sunday loop
- Shimoda Matsuri
- “Hear you nothing that I say?”
- Holy Hambuger, Batman
- Typhoon Melor
- Cynical and Monstrous Reality
- Oily Dollar
- Obscured by fog
- 253.2-foot Delta 4-Heavy lifting off
- Where Two Wheels Meet
- Cabel's First Rule of Japan
- FIT for Charity Run (Tokyo, Sun. Nov. 29)
- From my new Guest correspondent
- ▼ October (45)
- ► 2008 (598)
- ► 2007 (560)
- ► 2006 (358)